||8 Mar 1816
||Croft, Lancashire, England
||19 Mar 1816
||Winwick, Lancashire, England
||11 Apr 1908
||Nephi, Juab, Utah
||14 Apr 1908
||Vine Bluff Cemetery, Nephi, Juab, Utah
||14 Jan 2006 |
||Sarah Hobson or Hodgson or Hodgin, b. 1 Feb 1826, Kendal, Westmoreland, England , d. 1880/1897, Of Nephi, Juab, Utah |
||Of, , England
| ||1. Amanda Jane Winner, b. 4 Jun 1853, San Bernardino, San Bernardino, California , d. 9 May 1919, Nephi, Juab, Utah |
||Sarah Howe, b. Apr 1848, , , England |
||Of Nephi, Juab, Utah
|Christened - 19 Mar 1816 - Winwick, Lancashire, England
1860 US: Nephi, Juab, Utah, Roll 1314 Book 1, page 785, household #1414, family #1393:
Geo. Burchell, 44, farmer, real estate $200, personal property $600, b. Eng.
Sarah, 32, b. Eng.
1870 US: Utah, shows George as 53 and his wife Sarah as age 44. No nativity for wife shown. No natural children shown.
1880 US: Nephi, Juab, Utah, NA Film T9-1336, p. 400A:
George Birchall, farmer, M, 64, Eng, Eng, Eng.
Sarah Birchall, keeping house, wife, M, 54, Eng, Eng, Eng.
1900 US: Nephi, Juab Utah, E.D. 104, sht. 14, 19 Jun 1900, Nephi City:
George Birchell, b. March 1816, 84, Married 2 years, Eng, Eng, Eng, emigrated to US in 1853.
Sarah, wife, b. Apr. 1848, age 52, married 2 years, no children, Eng, Eng, Eng, emigrated to US in 1886 and 14 years resident of US. [This Sarah is evidently a second wife.]
2. Parents are Jeffrey Birchell and Hannah Glover. Burial Index cited below gives Jeffry and Ann Birchall.
3. Reviewed Rootsweb.com WorldConnect 8 Dec 2002.
4. FHL film 1033729 "Nephi Ward Record Survey" extensively compiled by Miss Mattie Hiatt in 1939 from church records, city records, and many other sources:
p. 40: Birchell; Source is Old Church Records:
a. "1816. George born 8 Mar. 1816 in Croft, Lanc., Eng., son of Jeffrey Birchell and Annah Gaulding, bp. 8 Mar 1851 by John Ashcroft, conf. same time by John Bradshaw. No. 933 pg. 39."
b. "1826. Sarah Hobson born 1 Feb 1826 in Kendal, Westmoreland, Eng. dau. of Thomas Hobson and Sarah Riddin, bp. 8 Mar 1851 by John Ashcroft, conf. same time and man, wife of George Birchell. No. 934 pg. 39."
c. "1854. Armanda Jane born 4 June 1854 in San Bernardino, Calif., adopted dau. of George Birchell and Sarah Hobson (see Armanda Jane Winner, wife of Robert Beagley) bp. 12 Sept. 1862 by William Evans, conf. 13 Sept 1862 by John Borrowman, wife of above. No. 935 pg. 39."
p. 40: Birchell; Source is Burial Records:
a. "1815. George born 8 Mar 1815 in England, son of Jeffrey an Ann -- Birchall, died 11 Apr. 1908. V.B.C. pg. 21."
b. "1843. Sara Love House, born 9 Jan 1843 in Long, Middleson(sex?), England, dau. of George Salisbury and Eliza Jarrett died 7 Oct 1915. C.C. pg. 30 (see Gr.S.[gravestone] wife of Charles House)."
c. "1852, Amanda Beagley born 4 June 1852 in San Bernardino, dau. of George Birchell died 9 May 1919. V.B.C. pg. 38."
p. 40: Birchell; Source is Vine Bluff Cemetery:
a. "1816. George born 8 Mar 1816 in Croft, Lancashire, Eng. died 11 Apr 1908. Gr.S."
1. Per letter of Enid Willardson to Wildra Welch, 350 Starcrest Drive, SLC, UT, 84116 [no date but after 1990]: "...I am sending you a family group sheet for George Birchall. So far as I know, they had no children. None are on the emigration or LDS records. However, after arriving in Utah, they took my grandmother [Amanda Jane Winner], then a girl of about 12 years, into their home. She lived with them until her marriage. Since they had no known descendants, I obtained permission to work on their lines..." Please note that Amanda's obituary says she was adopted at age 7.
2. Adoption of Amanda Winner by George Birchall may have been de facto rather than legal. One note on a family group sheet says: "Amanda was raised by Birchall but never legally adopted".
1. Date of 11 Apr 1815 given per website for Utah State Historical Society Cemeteries Database; 8 Jan 2002. Obituary and 1900 census indicate year is 1816 and not 1815. FHL film 1033729 "Nephi Ward Record Survey" cited above also has the varying 1815 and 1816 dates.
1. From the online Ordinance Index extracted records FHL film printout 0472536, source film 0223727, 0990033, batch P014421, 1733 -1768, Geo. Birhcall, b. 8 Mar 1816, chr. 19 Apr 1816 at Winwick, Lancashire, England, parents Geoffry and Hannah Birchall.
1. Sarah Hodgson: Married before emigration of 1853 per obituary.
2. Sarah Howe: 1900 Census indicates they had been married two years. Obituary gives her last name and marriage date of 1897. FHL film 1033729 "Nephi Ward Record Survey" cited above notes: "Sara Love House, born 9 Jan 1843 in Long, Middleson(sex?), England, dau. of George Salisbury and Eliza Jarrett died 7 Oct 1915. C.C. pg. 30 (see Gr.S.[gravestone] wife of Charles House)."
1. Date per website for Utah State Historical Society Cemeteries Database; 8 Jan 2002.
2. Per obituary.
3. Per FHL film 1033729 "Nephi Ward Record Survey" cited above.
1. Place per website for Utah State Historical Society Cemeteries Database; 8 Jan 2002. Notes lot "Vb_B_2_8_19" with source of "Sexton/Grant"; parents are Jeffry and Ann Birchall.
2. Burial card: George Birchall; name of parents: Jeffry & Ann Birchall; b. 8 Mar 1815 [stone says 1816] in Croft, Lancashire, England; cause of death: General Debility; death: 11 Apr, 1908; burial 14 Apr 1908 at Pine Bluff [cemetery], lot S1/2-8, Block 2, Plat B #19.
1. "George Birchall died here April 11, of old age. Mr Birchall was born March 8, 1816 at Croff, Lancashire, England. Joined the Church in 1850; emigrated with his wife Sarah in 1853, and settled in Nephi one year later. His wife died in 1877 and he married Sarah Howe in 1897 who still survives him. Millennial Star please copy." Deseret Evening News, Tues., 21 Apr 1908, p. 3.
ORDINANCES: Verified 2 Jan 2006.
BAPTISM: Online Ordinance Index says 8 Mar 1851. Church records of Nephi indicate 8 Mar 1851. Obituary states he joined in 1850. I use the Nephi ward records.
ENDOWMENT: Same endowment shown twice:
1. Online Ordinance Index FHL film 183404, ref. 1610. George Birchall, b. 8 Mar 1816 at Croft, Lancashire, England, to Jeffery and Hannah Birchall.
2. Online Ordinance Index FHL film 87030, batch 6940021. Notes birth 8 Feb 1816 at Macclesfield, Cheshire, England. Source noted as LDS Church membership record of deceased member based on early LDS branch records.
SEALING TO PARENTS:
Birchell: Online Ordinance Index FHL film 170494, p. 490, parents shown as Jeffrey Birchell and Hannah Glover.
Wells: FHL film 170493, pg. 485, 10 Nov 1892 MANTI (Appears to have been done under the old Law of Adoption to Daniel Hanmer Wells, a prominent local Mormon leader.) Gives birthdate as 8 Mar 1816 at Croft, Lancashire, England.
SEALING TO SPOUSE:
1. Sarah Hodgson: FHL film 183395, batch M183395, 1856-1866, Extracted LDS Temple Marriage Sealing, and ref. 4344, George Birchell, b. 8 Mar 1816 at Croft, Lancashire, England, and Sarah Hodgson, b. 1 Feb 1826 at Macclesfield, Wiltshire, England.
2. Sarah Love/Howe/House: Petersen family submission 34-4863, card 34-4105325-270.
3. Betty Birchall: Posthumous sealing per online Ordinance Index FHL film 170510, ref. 3073, 4 Nov 1892 MANTI; Betty Birchall, b. at Croft, Lancashire, England.
4. Margaret Arnold: Posthumous sealing per online Ordinance Index FHL film 170510, ref. 3074, 4 Nov 1892 MANTI; Margaret Arnold, b. at Croft, Lancashire, England.
5. Margaret Birchall: Posthumous sealing per online Ordinance Index FHL film 170510, ref. 3090, 9 Nov 1892 MANTI; Margaret Birchall, b. at Croft, Lancashire, England.