David Newbury Stoker1832 - 1852 (20 years)
Name David Newbury Stoker Born 2 Feb 1832 Bloomfield Township, Jackson, Ohio, United States Gender Male Died 17 Jun 1852 Trader's Point (now Council Bluffs), Pottawattamie, Iowa, United States Buried Graybill-Stoker Cemetery, Garner Township, Pottawattamie, Iowa, United States Person ID I435 Petersen-de Lanskoy Last Modified 21 Jan 2014
Father Michael S. Stoker, b. 10 Feb 1805, , Ashe, North Carolina, United States , d. 30 Mar 1858, Trader's Point (now Council Bluffs), Pottawattamie, Iowa, United States (Age 53 years) Mother Martha McDaniel, b. 24 Feb 1808, Raccoon Township, Gallia, Ohio, United States , d. 4 Feb 1873, Trader's Point (now Council Bluffs), Pottawattamie, Iowa, United States (Age 64 years) Married 1 Jan 1829 , , Ohio, United States Family ID F271 Group Sheet | Family Chart
1840 US: Quincy, Adams, Illinois, the following related families living in near proximity to each other (with exception of John McDaniel and his wife Christina Stoker, all of David Stoker's siblings, children, and mother are accounted for and it confirms his father Michael was dead by 1840):
David Stoker, males 5-10:1; 40-50:1//females 5-10:1; 10-15:1; 40-50:1. [David, his wife Barbara, and their children Sarah (13), Catherine (11?), and Michael (6). Note daughter Nancy not in census which means she was probably deceased by then.]
Simeon P. Grabell [Graybill], males 0-5:1; 20-30:1//females 0-5:1; 20-30:1. [David's nephew: Simeon and his wife Amanda Hill and their two oldest children.]
Jacob Stoker, males 20-30:1//females 0-5:1; 20-30:1. [Younger brother to David: Jacob and his wife Catherine and their oldest child.]
Eller Stoker, males 20-30:1//females 0-5:1; 15-20:1; 60-70:1. [Youngest brother to David: Eller with his wife Margaret and their oldest child and probably their mother Catherine Eller.]
James Walker [Welker], males 10-15:1; 15-20:1; 30-40:1//females 5-10:2; 40-50:1. [Living next door to Eller and ages work perfectly that this is James Welker and Elizabeth Stoker, who is David's sister.]
John W. Stoker, males 0-5:2; 10-15:1; 30-40:1//females 0-5:1; 5-10:2; 30-40:1. [John and his wife Electa Sarah and their six oldest children.]
John Stoker, males 0-5:1; 20-30:1//females 0-5:1; 5-10:2; 20-30:1. [David's son: John and his wife Jane and their children.]
William Stoker, males 0-5:1; 20-30:1//females 20-30:1 (father-in-law Samuel Winegar is next door). [David's son William and his wife Almira with their child.]
Michael Stoker, males 0-5:2; 5-10:2; 10-15:1; 30-40:1// females 30-40:1. [Michael, his wife Martha, and their five oldest children.]
1850 US: District 21, Pottawattamie, Iowa, p. 67b, household and family #62 [note judging from 1834 birth of Moroni, it would appear family was Mormon by that date by using a Book of Mormon name for the son]:
Michael Stoker, 41, no occupation, NC.
Martha, 39, Ohio.
Gabriel, 21, laborer, Ohio.
David, 18, Ohio.
Maroni, 16, Ohio.
Alexander, 13, Ohio.
Michael, 10, Ill.
Jared, 6, Ill.
Joseph, 4, Ill.
Rebecca, 2, Ill.
1851 Iowa State: Pottawattamie County. FHL film 1022203. The entire state was counted but only Pottawattamie listed everyone by name in the household and their ages; other counties only listed the head of the household and a numerical count without names of the various ages by sex in the household. No date is given when the census was taken but it was certified in Dec. 1851; however, the other counties show a Sep 1851 date which also appears more likely for Pottawattamie as well in light of ages given some children with known birthdays in October. Census return:
Stoker: Michael 46, Martha 44, Gabriel M. [male] 21, David N. 19, William M. 16, John A. 13, James M. 10, Jared 7, Joseph J. 4, Martha R. 2. [Note that the following related families are in this census and very close neighbors: Simeon P. Graybill, Michael/Polly Graybill with Polly's mother Catherine Eller Stoker, Eller/Margaret Stoker, Jacob/Catherine Stoker, Philip/Catherine Gatrost, David/Barbara Stoker, Edward/Sarah Davis, and William/Almira Stoker. Other relatives in same county but separated by several pages of census include the following families: Thomas/Hannah Pilling whose daughter Hannah, later marries William Lenore Graybill, Levi/Patience Graybill, John W./Sarah Stoker, Hannah Ford whose son Martin later marries Zibiah M. Stoker, and John/Sarah Smith.]
1852 Iowa: the census has David Stoker in Kanesville, Pottawattamie, IA, p. 22. This census is statistical and only lists heads of household with numbers of males, females, and voters. It is not very helpful for families or positively identifying a given individual. The following Stokers are shown as being in the same area: David, Eller, Jacob, John, and William as well as Michael Graybill, Martin Ford, Philip Gatrost, John Smith, George Graybill, and Levi Graybill. There is also another David Stoker in this database but he died in May 1852 which may or may not proceeded this census; there is only one David in the census.
2. Judging from 1834 birth of brother Moroni, it would appear father's family was Mormon by that date by their use of a Book of Mormon name for the son.
3. Some have used Nathan as the middle name; however, John Stoker's journal, as quote below, gives name as David Newbury Stoker, which is what I use until proven otherwise.
1. FHL film 702: "Journal of John Stoker, b. 1817; Journal starts November 1, 1869." John was the son of David Stoker and Barbara Graybill. The first 35 pages detail his mission taken from Utah to Virginia and Tennessee through Council Bluffs, Iowa, which I have summarized and included with his notes in this database. Pp. 36-227, the balance of John's journal, are genealogical notations of family. Many pages are blank. Besides family, the journal also notes many other unrelated Stokers who were probably gleaned from books and other sources. It appears as if maybe his son David may have taken over the book later. Many entries are repetitive at different times. Pertinent data for this family or individual is quoted verbatim as follows on pages:
106-107: Michael Stoker, born Feb. 10, 1805, North Carolina, married Martha McDaniel - father was James McDaniel, mother was Zibiah McCarley. Children:
Gabriel McNeel Stoker, born Oct. 23, 1829, Jackson Co., Bloomfield, Ohio.
David Newbury Stoker, born July 2, 1832, Bloomfield, Jac. Co., Ohio.
John A. Stoker, born Aug 25, 1837, Colewill Co.
Michael James Stoker, born May 23, 1840, Columbus, Ill.
Jared Samuel, born Mar. 19, 1843 Hancock Co., Ill.
Joseph J. Stoker, born April 20, 1845, Hancock Co., Ill.
Martha Rebecca Stoker, born Jan. 1 1849 Potawatamie Co., Iowa, died Oct. 9, 1871.
182-183: Martha Stoker, daughter of James McDaniel and Zibiah McCarly was born Feby 24th, 1808, Ohio, Galia Co., Raccoon Township.
Gabriel McNeel Stoker, son of Michael Stoker and Martha McDaniel was born Oct. 23d, 1829, Jackson Co., Bloomfield Township, State of Ohio.
David Newbury Stoker, son of Michael Stoker and Martha was born July 2d, 1832 Ohio, Jackson Co., Bloomfield Township.
Wm. Moroni Stoker, son of Michael and Martha was born July 20th, 1834, Jackson Co., Bloomfield Township, State of Ohio.
John A. Stoker, son of Michael and Martha was born Aug. 25, 1837, Missouri, Caldwell Co.
Michael James Stoker, son of Michael and Martha was born May 23d, 1840, Columbus, Adams Co., Illinois.
Jared Samuel Stoker, son of Michael and Martha was born March 19th, 1843 Illinois, Hancock Co.
Joseph Johile Stoker, son of Michael and Martha was born April 26th, 1846, Illinois, Hancock Co.
Martha Rebecca Stoker, daughter of Michael and Martha was born Jany 1st, 1849, Potawatamie Co, Kane Township, Iowa, Died Oct.19, 1871.
1. Mentioned in the book "The Howard Leytham Stoker Von Dollen Family Histories, "FHL 929.273 H833a, by Doris Lewis, 2017 So. 80th Ave., Omaha, Nebraska, 68124, pp. 92, 93: "Michael Stoker, b. 10 Feb 1805, m. Martha Carr McDaniels... By noting where the children were born, one can trace the whereabouts of their journeys. By August of 1837, they were in Caldwell County, Missouri. They were at Trader's Point in Pottawattamie County, Iowa in January of 1849 and lived there the rest of their lives, Michael died on March 30, 1858 at the age of 53, and Martha died 15 years later. Trader's Point, an early Indian trading center, was south of Council Bluffs and across the river from Sarpy's Ferry. When the Missouri River changed its course, Trader's Point ended up on the Nebraska side. Michael Stoker's Journal: 'One of the Elders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints... David N. Stoker was born Friday, Feb 2nd, 1832 at 10 P.M. in Bloomfield Township, Jackson Co., Ohio... David N. Stoker died at 9:30 o'clock p.m., May 14, 1852 at Trader's Point, Pottawattamie Co., Iowa."
1. Probably unmarried considering 1851 census as single and death in 1852.
1. See father's journal date quoted in birth record above. Tombstone does confirm an 1852 year of death. I use place as Trader's Point since he shows up also in father's journal and he was there with his family in 1851 Iowa census. Died about same time as brother Gabriel - they would have been 20 and 23 years old, and died nine days apart. There is a conflict between tombstone and his father's journal: tombstone says 17 Jun 1852 whereas the journal supposedly says 14 May 1852 - I have not seen a copy of the journal so I continue to use tombstone date especially since the age it gives is exactly the reported birthdate.
1. The following name is found on a new memorial stone with 33 other related family members at Graybill/Stoker Cemetery: "David N. Stoker 1834-1852." It is 3 miles east of Council Bluffs, Iowa in Garner Township on old Highway 6 (also known as McPherson Highway - not to be confused with the new Highway 6), then a right (south) on State Orchard Road for 9/10ths of a mile, then left (east) on Cedar Lane to the first driveway on the left (north). The address is 21090 Cedar Lane and the cemetery is in their backyard. Get permission from the homeowner first. These directions were corrected from previous directions after my visit May 8, 2007.
2. Tombstone at Graybill Cemetery, Garner Township, Pottawattamie, Iowa: "David N. Stoker, d. 17 Jun 1852, 20y 4m 15d."
1. Ancestral File 4.19 (27 May 2001).
2. Mentioned in the FHL book 929.273 P684pn: "Graybill/Stoker/Eller/Smith/Koons/Pitt Connections," by Norman E. 'Gene' Pitt, 1996, p. 87.
3. FHL Book 929.273EL54h "George Michael Eller and Descendants of His in America," compiled by James W. Hook, 1957, also on FHL film 896571, item 2, p. 116.