Martha Rebecca Stoker1849 - 1871 (22 years)
Name Martha Rebecca Stoker Born 1 Jan 1849 Trader's Point (now Council Bluffs), Pottawattamie, Iowa, United States Gender Female Died 19 Oct 1871 Trader's Point (now Council Bluffs), Pottawattamie, Iowa, United States Buried Graybill-Stoker Cemetery, Garner Township, Pottawattamie, Iowa, United States Person ID I357 Petersen-de Lanskoy Last Modified 21 Jan 2014
Father Michael S. Stoker, b. 10 Feb 1805, , Ashe, North Carolina, United States , d. 30 Mar 1858, Trader's Point (now Council Bluffs), Pottawattamie, Iowa, United States (Age 53 years) Mother Martha McDaniel, b. 24 Feb 1808, Raccoon Township, Gallia, Ohio, United States , d. 4 Feb 1873, Trader's Point (now Council Bluffs), Pottawattamie, Iowa, United States (Age 64 years) Married 1 Jan 1829 , , Ohio, United States Family ID F271 Group Sheet | Family Chart
1850 US: District 21, Pottawattamie, Iowa, p. 67b, household and family #62 [note judging from 1834 birth of Moroni, it would appear family was Mormon by that date by using a Book of Mormon name for the son]:
Michael Stoker, 41, no occupation, NC.
Martha, 39, Ohio.
Gabriel, 21, laborer, Ohio.
David, 18, Ohio.
Maroni, 16, Ohio.
Alexander, 13, Ohio.
Michael, 10, Ill.
Jared, 6, Ill.
Joseph, 4, Ill.
Rebecca, 2, Ill.
1851 Iowa State: Pottawattamie County. FHL film 1022203. The entire state was counted but only Pottawattamie listed everyone by name in the household and their ages; other counties only listed the head of the household and a numerical count without names of the various ages by sex in the household. No date is given when the census was taken but it was certified in Dec. 1851; however, the other counties show a Sep 1851 date which also appears more likely for Pottawattamie as well in light of ages given some children with known birthdays in October. Census return:
Stoker: Michael 46, Martha 44, Gabriel M. [male] 21, David N. 19, William M. 16, John A. 13, James M. 10, Jared 7, Joseph J. 4, Martha R. 2. [Note that the following related families are in this census and very close neighbors: Simeon P. Graybill, Michael/Polly Graybill with Polly's mother Catherine Eller Stoker, Eller/Margaret Stoker, Jacob/Catherine Stoker, Philip/Catherine Gatrost, David/Barbara Stoker, Edward/Sarah Davis, and William/Almira Stoker. Other relatives in same county but separated by several pages of census include the following families: Thomas/Hannah Pilling whose daughter Hannah, later marries William Lenore Graybill, Levi/Patience Graybill, John W./Sarah Stoker, Hannah Ford whose son Martin later marries Zibiah M. Stoker, and John/Sarah Smith.]
1856 Iowa: (From Ancestry.com) Kane, Pottawattamie, Iowa, p. 28 of 63, 175/176 (family of Martin Ford is two doors away); also note the family has been residents of the state for 8 years:
Michael Stoker, 51, NC, farmer. (Also includes some agricultural production figures.)
Martha, 48, OH.
Moroni, 21, OH, farmer.
Alexander, 18, MO.
M.J., 16, IL.
Jared, 13, IL.
J.J, 10, IL.
Rebecca M., 7, IA.
1860 US: Kane Township, Pottawattamie, Iowa, p. 377, entry 562:
Martha Stoker, 52, OH, farmer.
William M. 25, OH, farmer.
John A., 23, OH, farmhand.
Michael, 19, IL, farmhand.
Jared, 17, IL, farmhand.
Joseph, 14, IL.
Martha, 12, IL.
1870 US: Council Bluffs P.O., Kane Township, Pottawattamie, Iowa, p. 179a, entry 141:
Michael Stoker, 29, IL, farmer.
Martha, 62, OH, keeping house.
Joseph, 24, IL.
Martha, 21, IA.
Alexander, 32, MO.
Mary, 29, Ire.
Martha, 7/12, IA.
2. Judging from 1834 birth of brother Moroni, it would appear father's family was Mormon by that date by their use of a Book of Mormon name for the son.
3. Reviewed Ancestral File Oct 2003.
1. Mentioned in the book "The Howard Leytham Stoker Von Dollen Family Histories, "FHL 929.273 H833a, by Doris Lewis, 2017 So. 80th Ave., Omaha, Nebraska, 68124, pp. 92, 93: "Michael Stoker, b. 10 Feb 1805, m. Martha Carr McDaniels... By noting where the children were born, one can trace the whereabouts of their journeys. By August of 1837, they were in Caldwell County, Missouri. They were at Trader's Point in Pottawattamie County, Iowa in January of 1849 and lived there the rest of their lives, Michael died on March 30, 1858 at the age of 53, and Martha died 15 years later. Trader's Point, an early Indian trading center, was south of Council Bluffs and across the river from Sarpy's Ferry. When the Missouri River changed its course, Trader's Point ended up on the Nebraska side. Michael Stoker's Journal: 'One of the Elders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints... Martha Rebecca Stoker was born January 1, 1849 at Trader's Point, Pottawattamie County, Iowa... Martha Rebecca Stoker, Thursday, Oct. 19, 1871 at 2:30 A.M. at Trader's Point, Pottawattamie County, Iowa."
2. FHL film 702: "Journal of John Stoker, b. 1817; Journal starts November 1, 1869." John was the son of David Stoker and Barbara Graybill. The first 35 pages detail his mission taken from Utah to Virginia and Tennessee through Council Bluffs, Iowa, which I have summarized and included with his notes in this database. Pp. 36-227, the balance of John's journal, are genealogical notations of family. Many pages are blank. Besides family, the journal also notes many other unrelated Stokers who were probably gleaned from books and other sources. It appears as if maybe his son David may have taken over the book later. Many entries are repetitive at different times. Pertinent data for this family or individual is quoted verbatim as follows on pages:
106-107: Michael Stoker, born Feb. 10, 1805, North Carolina, married Martha McDaniel - father was James McDaniel, mother was Zibiah McCarley. Children:
Gabriel McNeel Stoker, born Oct. 23, 1829, Jackson Co., Bloomfield, Ohio.
David Newbury Stoker, born July 2, 1832, Bloomfield, Jac. Co., Ohio.
John A. Stoker, born Aug 25, 1837, Colewill Co.
Michael James Stoker, born May 23, 1840, Columbus, Ill.
Jared Samuel, born Mar. 19, 1843 Hancock Co., Ill.
Joseph J. Stoker, born April 20, 1845, Hancock Co., Ill.
Martha Rebecca Stoker, born Jan. 1 1849 Potawatamie Co., Iowa, died Oct. 9, 1871.
182-183: Martha Stoker, daughter of James McDaniel and Zibiah McCarly was born Feby 24th, 1808, Ohio, Galia Co., Raccoon Township.
Gabriel McNeel Stoker, son of Michael Stoker and Martha McDaniel was born Oct. 23d, 1829, Jackson Co., Bloomfield Township, State of Ohio.
David Newbury Stoker, son of Michael Stoker and Martha was born July 2d, 1832 Ohio, Jackson Co., Bloomfield Township.
Wm. Moroni Stoker, son of Michael and Martha was born July 20th, 1834, Jackson Co., Bloomfield Township, State of Ohio.
John A. Stoker, son of Michael and Martha was born Aug. 25, 1837, Missouri, Caldwell Co.
Michael James Stoker, son of Michael and Martha was born May 23d, 1840, Columbus, Adams Co., Illinois.
Jared Samuel Stoker, son of Michael and Martha was born March 19th, 1843 Illinois, Hancock Co.
Joseph Johile Stoker, son of Michael and Martha was born April 26th, 1846, Illinois, Hancock Co.
Martha Rebecca Stoker, daughter of Michael and Martha was born Jany 1st, 1849, Potawatamie Co, Kane Township, Iowa, Died Oct.19, 1871.
1. Tombstone and Ordinance Index.
2. Per father's journal quoted in biography above.
1. Unmarried, buried with maiden name.
1. Per father's journal quoted in biography above and tombstone quoted below. This is the date I use.
2. John Stoker's Journal quoted herein uses variant death date of 9 Oct 1871.
1. The following name is found on a new memorial stone with 33 other related family members at Graybill/Stoker Cemetery: "Martha R. Stoker 1849-1871." It is 3 miles east of Council Bluffs, Iowa in Garner Township on old Highway 6 (also known as McPherson Highway - not to be confused with the new Highway 6), then a right (south) on State Orchard Road for 9/10ths of a mile, then left (east) on Cedar Lane to the first driveway on the left (north). The address is 21090 Cedar Lane and the cemetery is in their backyard. Get permission from the homeowner first. These directions were corrected from previous directions after my visit May 8, 2007.
2. Tombstone at Graybill Cemetery, Garner Township, Pottawattamie, Iowa: "Marta R. D. 19 Oct 1871, 22 y 9 m 18 d."
1. Ancestral File 4.19 (27 May 2001).
2. Mentioned in the FHL book 929.273 P684pn: "Graybill/Stoker/Eller/Smith/Koons/Pitt Connections," by Norman E. 'Gene' Pitt, 1996, p. 87.
3. FHL Book 929.273EL54h "George Michael Eller and Descendants of His in America," compiled by James W. Hook, 1957, also on FHL film 896571, item 2, p. 116.